Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Homebrew Ladder Line and Antenna

I read several articles about ladder line and its benefits.  So, I made one.  The Credits will be listed below this entry.  Some pictures:

Note: I had more pictures of the ladder line build and actual making of the spacers but my phone ate them.. (I went to look for them and they were ALL gone).  I built the ladder line on 12-29 and it was COLD!  Took most of the day to cut the ladder line (100 ft) and the dipole (134 ft).








The spacers were made from 4" electric fence insulators from

A box of 200 runs $14.45 .. I still have a 100 left.  Enough for another ladder line.
The insulators were drilled on each end with a .125 (3.175mm) drill with a jig I made for my drill press to insure consistent holes were in the right place at each end,  The insulator is slightly triangular.  The insulators were all faced the same way as I inserted them on the THNN 14g stranded wire from Lowes (500 ft about $50).  I tied the wire between 2 trees and slowly threaded all the insulators on for 100 feet of ladder line.  Then I spaced each insulator 12" (30cm) from each other and used a hot glue gun to squirt glue in each end and a slight dab on each wire.    After about 5+ hours we have what we see.  

Thanks to Rob W1AEX  

Now to get it in the trees.  (Need a good grounding system... I have fried more than one antenna (among other equipment) and had rolling balls of lightning plasma in the basement ! ) .  
Virginia can get nasty lightning at times.. seems I am a magnet though..


Next posting: Putting in a grounding system.


 





No comments:

Post a Comment